I have put off posting this one for ages because I am so bloody traumatised by the experience.
Seriously – I thought this pattern was cursed from the beginning. Perhaps I jinxed myself by buying a poxy jersey knit from Spotlight? IDK.
I cut it out easy enough, front, back, two sleeves. HOW HARD COULD THIS BE?
I should preface this with the fact that this was my first experience sewing with knits. Ever.
- First I tried to use a regular non-stretch needle to do my neckline. Fail.
- Then I finally bought a stretch needle and broke that within (and I am not even exaggerating here) the first two minutes of doing a test on some scrap. Fail.
- Then my machine kept eating the fabric because it is rubbish and I probably need a new fancy one for my birthday hint hint. Fail (sort of).
I borrowed Lil Pip’s overlocker and one of her stretch twins (Endless thank you’s) and ended up smashing the damn thing out after I put Anne down for the night. I kind of rushed it a bit because I was just a bit over it by that stage.
BUT. Now I know that you really can’t stuff about with any old needles it’s actually a relatively simple top to knock out.
I got a little bit of a pucker thing happening on the shoulders, but that’s because I cut too far in with my final stitches to create the “boat” neckline.
Next time, Gadget!
I bought some gorgeous (and totally non-poxy) Tessuti Jaywalk fabric and have put it aside to make another of these, but I think I’ll wait a while yet. I’m still picking myself off of the floor. Haha.